I’m very paranoid about Ally’s teeth. I’ve read too many horror stories of toddler tooth decay so since turned 1, we’ve brought her to the dentist religiously every 6 months. I’m the one who brushes her teeth but most of the time she would say ” Mama I brush teeth by self” We usually compromise, if she allows me to brush her teeth, then I’ll put a dab of toothpaste on her toothbrush for her to brush on her own.
I find it extremely difficult to brush the teeth at the corners of her mouth. In order to clean them properly, I need to gently pull up her lip. It doesn’t help that Ally has a strong gag reflex so I’ve got to be extra careful brushing the teeth at the back.
Just thought I’ll share some tips on caring for your child teeth:
– try to limit the amount of sweets / sweet drinks that your child consumes
– if possible, wean your child off night feeds, they are one of the major culprits of bottle rot
– don’t give sweet drinks/ juices in a bottle, encourage your child to drink from a cup.
– brush your child’s teeth twice a day, especially after the last milk feed at night
– a pea size amount of fluoride toothpaste is safe for children over the age of 1